Pork Loin Roast Over Apples
with Red Wine and Maple Syrup
(Recipe courtesy of Vincent duBreton, producer of fine duBreton
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 1 h 05
Servings : 4
1 roast of pork (center cut of 800 g (1 3/4 lb) Pork loin
3 apples, halved and cored
1 large onion, quartered
4 garlic cloves, germ removed
4 sprigs fresh thyme or 5 ml (1 tsp.) dried thyme
Zest of 1/2 orange
15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
250 ml (1 cup) red wine
60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
2. Place apple halves, onion, garlic, thyme, and orange zest in
a baking dish.
3. Heat oil in a pan over high heat and melt butter. Sear roast
on all sides. Place roast in baking dish and season generously.
4. Add wine and maple syrup to pan, brinf to a boil and pour over
. Bake in center of oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a thermometer
inserted in center of meat reads 57 to 60°C (135 to 140°F), depending
on desired doneness.
6. Remove from oven and let roast stand at least 10 minutes before
7. Arrange on plates with apples, onions, and wine.
Suggestion: Serve with mashed potatoes and celery root.